Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Here come the gays!

This Saturday (04.07) I was at my first gay parade. I am open minded and I don't like to judge things by their cover, but I have to admit that I felt myself a bit homophobic. It as a bit yucky to see a lot of guys kissing guys, I think girls kissing girls is much better. The parade in Madrid is one of the biggest in Europe and usually there up to 3 million people participating (crowd included). I have no idea how many were this year, but it sure was a lotttt of people. It was very hot, like every other summer day in Madrid…but this didn't stop anyone from going out on the streets, where they were having water fights or people throwing water on them from balconies.

The parade is full of colour and costumes. Of course the most interesting are the guys...lesbians are a bit boring and normal considering that nowadays all girls wear pants...but the guys were amazing. Not just the drags...who had absolutely fabulous costumes, but also the others. I have a feeling they look so good on purpose to agonies girls...and the main song was "Dragostea din tei"...which I guess is some sort of gay anthem.

I went with Sara and Diego and ended up with Diego and a bunch of Erasmusers I knew from Denmark. We had a few drinks (a bit too many maybe) and the best was the mojito in a 1l plastic glass, of which I had two because it was absolutely delicious. The result was a bad hangover...again...and every time I do this I say I will never do it again...I spent my hangover day with Diego's family by the swimming pool and we developed a nice theory...20s=1 day, 30s=2 or 3 days, 40s=4 days and after 50s you should be crazy to drink that much and not learn your lesson :P