Monday, December 15, 2008

It's always good-bye to somebody

Good-byes started as the holidays are getting closer. It's weird being an "international student"...Before coming here I was thinking about how my room mates would be, how my class mates would be...how all my new friends will be. I was sure there has to be someone I would not get along with or whose habits would piss me off...but here I am crying my eyes out for people I only know for a few months but feel so related to. The experience is just like the feelings that cannot be explained. Most of the people will be here next semester too, but others will not.

Tonight Mara left. Her imperfect way of being makes me already miss her. I stayed with her in her room as she was packing...concerning about the weight of the bag. I barely kept the tears when she hugged me and said good-bye. She said I should take it as "see ya'"...but I know chances are it's not going to be like that. I will miss everything about her...the talking, the funny walks we had, our stupid jokes...her camera :)...The photo she left for us on the fridge will make me feel like she's still here every morning.

I guess it's not just Mara...its realizing that at some point we will all have to say good-bye and the more time passes the harder it gets. This is different from saying it to people at home because I am more than sure I will see them again.