Saturday, November 22, 2008

1 month to go

This week was defined by people interaction. On Monday, Kamila invited all of us for dinner. Though I didn't want to stay long because the next day I had a presentation in history, we ended up coming home at 1 in the morning. But we didn't notice how time passed, because we were so many and we talked and drank so much. The house she lives in is extremely nice. It's a house in the centre of Aarhus with high sealing and wide rooms. She lives with a teacher from the University who is obsessed with birds, so his whole house was full of bird pictures, bird books and other things related to birds. We listened to some nice records and enjoyed the time we had together. I found out that one of the Spanish girls, Nuria, is going to be with some friends in Bucharest on the 16th of January so I hope we will see each other there and I'll get to be a guide for the first time in my own city. I always wondered what I could show visitors in Bucharest, because I guess I never visited it myself, I just lived in it.

Tuesday was the presentation day and though the day before I was extremely nervous about it I was tired I relaxed and was able to focus a bit better. I can't remember what else we did on Tuesday actually.

Because on Friday we had our Christmas party, Wednesday I had to cook some traditional Romanian Christmas food - sarmale. I've never done this before so it was like another exam I had to pass. To my surprise they turned out extremely well and the girls enjoyed it and didn't die or had indigestion from them.

Thursday was a really long school day. We got to watch our last Diaspora movie. This was a sign that the semester is really getting to an end. Friday we also had our last official class in Diaspora, but we decided to meet once more for dinner together at Uwe's place. And on Friday I saw the first signs of snow...not snowflakes but hail.

Friday was also the Christmas Party day. This was my first Christmas party this year and also my first party with my class mates. It was very fun. We ate together, drank Snaps and danced. I got home at 4 o'clock in the morning. I got really nostalgic and very sad on my way back. I realized that I might not be able to live at home...and this is not because of the people I met here, because they will go...neither because of the schedule I have, because I'm not going to be a student forever...but because of the feeling of being safe and being able to actually dream and follow dreams. I know this doesn't sound very realistic and it's not a good reason to reject the idea of being a "Romanian" again...but I guess I can never escape the wish to run away and reject my roots and find a better way of life (which I believe I can find somewhere in this world and that place is not be Romania). I'm sorry.

I decided to make a list of things I hate (I will not number them because I don't know which one is more important), so...I hate:
- the lines socks make on your ankle
- people eating in bed
- people not washing their dishes
- people talking only about themselves
- the cold
- my short nails
- not being taken serious because of your age and nationality
- people you cannot get rid off because at some point you are nice to them
- being away and not feeling the distance anymore
- not having a camera