Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Bible

Two summers ago, in Spain, all women on the metro were reading these really large books I have never heard about. I got curious and that's how I found out about Larsson's Millennium. To my shame I only finished reading them two years later...

I've never written a book review and I'm definitely not going to start now. The books are frightfully thick, but you can't imagine how fast they capture you and they get glued to your hands and your mind. Larsson was about to write 12 novels with the same skinny, weird Lisbeth Salander as the main character, but unfortunately he died soon after finishing the third. I can't help but wonder whether the others would've been just as fascinating. I did most of the reading on the bus, where I've even been asked whether I'm reading the Bible :))

A series of Swedish movies has been made after the books. Saw the first one, and all I can say is that it doesn't compare. If you like the movie you're going to love the book. Director Daniel Alfredson tried to catch the essence of the books in a series of shocking movies, with very violent scenes. They are R rated for a good reason.