Thursday, January 29, 2009

My lucky day

After yesterday I was at the top of depression, today I tried to put myself together and start doing something instead of crying. Before going to bed I asked Marketa to cut off 3-4 cm from my hair. I did it because I had to cut it anyway, but also because this is good therapy for me. My other problem solving therapy is shopping, but since I don't have any money... I woke up thinking about home as usual, but I knew I had no time to start crying my eyes out, so I opened my e-mail fast to see if any good news will make my day brighter.

The accountant from school still didn't solve the problem with my money for rent, but I wasn't going to let this ruin my day...I acted quickly and sent her an e-mail explaining as best as I could that what I am saying is right and provable. I didn't wait for an answer, as I had to meet with Laura, my Romanian friend here, and go search for a job.

Our tour of the warehouses in the harbour was without success. We first went to a place we found on the internet, where they were suppose to hire people to wrap fruit. But to our surprise when we got there a man in a white gown covered with blood greeted us. We realised that it has nothing to do with fruit, but still we asked about a job. He smiled warmly and told us "we don't have any women working here...this is a slaughter house". The sound of that, sent shivers down my spine and when we turned, we saw a truck full of cows and one of them was sticking its head up...I realised that it was going to be someone’s dinner in a few days. We continued our job trip and ended up in a movie producing office. A big office, with lot of very posh looking people. Laura didn’t want to go, but I perused her. I knew we wouldn't find a job in there, but I was curious about what the offices looked like. We left convinced we aren't going to find anything. Still I was optimistic...today had to end well...I had that in my mind and it had to go according to plan. After crossing the city with our bikes we decided to head home. On my way home I met Marketa, who was just coming from school. I told her about my great adventure and we decided to go to another place where we knew there were some offices. Most of them had to do with cleaning and I knew about ISS (an international cleaning company). We went through each and every single one, but nothing. In the end we went in ISS. Of course at the beginning they said they don't have anything for us, but we can fill in a form and they will call us. I heard this a thousand times and was a bit disappointed that my day wouldn't be as great as I thought. But after we handed in the forms the lady asked us to wait for a few minutes and went in the back. Later a nice girl came and took us for an interview. In half an hour we were out with our new uniforms and a job contract for at least one month.

So, I will work together with Marketa in a school, everyday from 5 to 8 in the morning except weekends...cleaning. I will finally feel useful...and I will have monnnneeeeyyyyy. I hope that in this way I will come to peace with my cleaning obsession and maybe even start hating it.

Other things that made my day:
- I found a mobile phone
- I solved the problem with my money for rent
- I got an offer to join LSRS for some projects
- Alice returned
- I am going to a small party