Thursday, September 04, 2008

03rd - OMFG what am I doing here?!

My internet is still not working and now I just realised my Microsoft Office doesn't work either but maybe the two are related somehow...I hope. Anyway I decided to write on my blog twice a week on Wednesday and Sunday. So because today is Wednesday and I don't have access to the internet I'm just going to write and upload later...I don't want to forget or leave out anything. So...it's been three days since I'm in Aarhus, now I know how to pronounce it at least. My blog is going to turn into a "how to survive in a country you've never dreamt you will get to and don't know anything about" step by step guide.

I arrived this Sunday. First I took the plane from Bucharest to Copenhagen. Of course it was a small jet because who goes to Denmark right?! I had a rough night before leaving because I didn't feel so good, so I was drawn of energy, sleepy and didn't feel so good. I didn't cry when I left because that was the last thing I need it in this recepie. Anyway I got on the plane and set next to a Danish guy. He tried speaking to me but I wasn't feeling very friendly, so I had my head phones on, waiting for the plain to land to nowhever.


I didn't really have time to think about how I was feeling when I got to Copenhagen because I had to get my baggage and buy my train ticket to Aarhus. On the train I had my first contact with the Danes...I looked at them and studied their behaviour for 4 hours. The train was full of teenagers probably going away from home to study. I wasn't expecting them to smoke or anything but they are the wild. And by that i don't refer only to the smoking part but you should see the way they dress and wear their hair and act. I thought I was in a juvi correctional school. They are way more than I expected from the word freedom of expression  Coloured clothing, piercings, tattoos, weird dressing etc. But this made me feel good because I realised that I can say and do anything because it will be just a act of solidarity. Anyway..when I finally got off the train I knew the bus I had to take but not where to buy tickets from. With my highly travelling developed brain I thought that there has to be a system of buying tickets on the bus. And yes it was. I didn't know how to use it so I did what a everybody was doing...went to the bus driver to change the money and than stayed in front of the machine till somebody came and showed me what to do because I was to stupid to read the two steps one should follow. The bus driver kindly told me where to get off...I forgot to mention that the bus has only one entrance (the back) and one exist (the front) and a ticket costs around 3 euros. It was almost 11 o'clock...and I was in the middle of the street with two large bags. Now...I was lost. I had no idea where to go..no map no nothing. I was lucky a Danish girl passed me and offered to take me to the Guest House  So I was finally there. The first day was over..and I forgot to mention I also made a friend - Romain, the French guy :P. I never felt so well..ever..about getting to a room, with a bed and a shower. It didn't matter that I didn't have anything to eat...I was there.

I had to tell the whole story because I am proud of getting here in one piece. Now the second day...I woke up without knowing where I am, because it was night when I arrived. I had to go out and buy something to eat because I was ding. I woke up earlier because Romania is one hour later than Denmark...so everything was closed. I managed to find a bakery and was surprised to pay 56 krone for a croissant a something...a juice and a chocolate. 1 kr = 0.49 lei...or at least that's how it was. I was afraid to eat on the street because it's not polite and everything but I was so hungry that nothing mattered. After my morning walk I met with Romain and went to the university. I found out that he is in the same department (history) as me and we will have a class together. After registration and walking around confused and lost we finally got to the opening conference. I didn't understand what the Dean and another guy were saying because I was either very tired or their English was really bad. Anyway I noticed the fact that the Dean had a piercing in his ear. Even though I wanted to go as fast as possible to the International Secretariat to get my key I had to attend the opening speech for my program - International Studies. And it was a good thing to do because I received a map and some other useful stuff and I got to meet two of my teachers. When the short lecture was over I got to take my key and go to my room. I leave 7 km away from the University. I still don't know if Brabrand is a district of Aarhus or another city...I will probably find out in these two years. The ride was ok...and I found the flat pretty fast. There is a super market very close to it and a mall a bus station away. The neighbour hood is ok...mostly Arabs...but this is a good thing because they have really tasty, natural food at the super market.

The apartment was empty. As I imagined there were three rooms, so I had to be with two more people. I started crying because I felt alone and I was thinking that I shouldn't be there but at home, working and meeting people after...not just people..but people I love and love me back. I felt like I didn't want to make new friends and sort of start over everything. To get out of this mood I went shopping for food and stuff just to forget. When I returned, both by apartment mates were there. So I'm staying with a Marketa from the Czech Republic and Mara from Latvia. They are both Erasmus and Mara will leave this winter and Marketa in summer. They are really nice and seeing them made me feel better. We stayed together that evening talking about nothing. Marketa studies Psychology and Mara Scandinavian Languages and speaks Danish. We were all upset because our internet isn't working and we all wanted to talk to people at home. We read our housing contracts together..I have the biggest room but I pay the bigget rent too. Maybe in winter after Mara leaves I can switch with her room because it's cheaper and I don't really need such a huge room.

On Thursday I went with Marketa to school..and we got to see a little bit of the centre of the town. We didn't do much...we just went to the IS to tell them about the internet and solve other birocratic stuff like the residence permit. I really want to get a job and I know it's possible but I need my permit and my CPR number - which is like some sort of Danish registration number. I will also get a full heath insurance with it so I mustn't worry if anything, God forbid, happens. I also bought some of the books I need and from what I saw I reallyyyyy have to start learning. There is a lot of information and it's not that easy to pass the exams. I really hope I'll manage. I also saw that there are other 7 Romanians here through Erasmus and I heard two speaking in the line at the residence permit and they were from the same type of program as me. I don't want to talk to any of them...even if this might make me feel closer to home. I want to have a full experience of foreigners. It seams that everyday things settle more and more. I probably had to write a lot now because I did a lot of things. I still don't have a clear impression on how the Danish people are - I think it will take a little time.

Today it was raining really bad. Me and Mara walked to the University and I was completely wet. I got to read my email though I wasn't allowed to do it there..but till they come fix the problem I have to check it somewhere. I remained alone in the afternoon so I went shopping :D. I bough 3 pairs of boots..which I didn't necessaries need but liked. I bought some other stuff but it was sad cause I had nobody to share the joy with. And I was trying on things and imagining talking to Ana about how they look and whether I should buy them or not. I must be going crazy. I ate caramel peanuts which they sell in the centre only. Things aren't very different than Romania. You see garbage from place to place and people selling stuff in the street. Anyway this a thing I had to say to feel proud to be a Romanian :P...

I started eating better and in time I hope I'll get used to the food.

This is my first Aarhusian post...