Sunday, March 16, 2008

Life vs. people

Yesterday my mother brought home a girl from the kindergarten she works at. The little girl is completely deaf. She is 9 years old and she has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. I felt tears in my eyes the first moment I saw her but I knew I had to contain myself. She stayed at us over the night and slept with me and my sister in the room. I was so sorry I couldn't talk to her at all, just through little signs, but I could not ask her what cartoons she likes, or if she wants something or not and I felt horrible. My mother told me she is extremely poor, she has a lot of brothers and her parents earn very little. She was the only one in the family who could not hear or speak and her family did not know how to act properly towards her. So even if she is 9 she is still in kindergarten because she is a little behind other kids and cannot speak signs or relate things together. I don't know why but seeing her and getting to live with her for one day moved me a lot. It made me think of how important life is and what is actually important in it.