Monday, May 10, 2010

Fair and Fest

Summer seams to be here and events are bulging into my life. Since I've known myself I hated having free time and the lats two years of my life were full of free time and laziness. I feel like I'm back in action, always too busy and sleeping sound. My weekdays are nothing but work and thesis writing...and occasional beer evenings with Ana. ROBI's animals took over most of my weekends, but I'm not complaining.

A prolific weekend, with 18 adopted animals, started on Saturdays, when I was as usual at the fair in Obor. The purpose of the fair is to give animals, stray animals, for adoption. We have puppies and kitties for adoptions, but even though they are cute and cuddly, at the end of the day just a few find a home. For them, it's crucial to be adopted while small, because people usually look for a dog to grow with. If they are not adopted, they have to be moved to Glina, the animal shelter. It's heartbreaking when we see these puppies, full of energy, clumsy and naive, unable to find a loving home and being transported back to the yard where they are temporarily kept, at the end of every Saturday.

On Sunday I'm usually at Glina. The good weather takes a lot of volunteers to Glina, so it's easier to also attend other events. That's why this Sunday I went to ONGfest to represent the animal association. Romania has a lot of social problems, most of these problems clearly dividing the population: gypsies, abandoned children, abandoned elderly people and stray animals. At the fest, most of the attendants were presenting one of these social issues. I was surprised to learn that out of these, children and stray animals were mostly represented and attracting peoples attention. Opinions are divided...I myself could never chose between helping a child or a dog. The only thing driving me towards animals is that I can't sit around sad children...it's too cruel for me. My mother works in a kindergarden for children with hearing and mental deficiencies and I can't even go there to see the children. Most of them have been abandoned...and it's frustrating. I am future driven, so I always think about what will happen with these souls over the years and while dogs can live in a small yard with some food and a little love, you cannot keep a child like that. I'm a beginner in social helping, so maybe over the years I will become more mature and shift my attention...