Thursday, December 04, 2008

My flat mates

I realized that I never posted anything about the girls I've been living with for the past 3 months of my life. Last week I was thinking about how close we became, and about the fact that I feel more related to them than to my friends at home. This is of course because I never actually lived with my friends for 3 months in the same flat. The relation we built is very special because we have very different characters forced somehow to live together, but still we take care of each other and get worried when one of us comes home later than usual.

Marketa Vosatkova
Marketa is a second year bachelor student in psychology. She is from Czech Republic, city of Brno. She is here on Erasmus for one year and so I will share one year of my life with her by being her flat mate. At the beginning I didn't feel so related to her because she was desperate to build a social life and meet people from all over. I initially thought she doesn't have a boyfriend and she is in desperate search for one. But one month after we got here a guy was singing on her laptop...and it wasn't Youtube, it was her boyfriend :). That's when she first told us about him. I've never seen her crying or being depressed when we got here, but I guess the strong self cooling system psychologists have is very developed for her too. She doesn't smile a lot and she seems a little bit flat in her reactions. I've never had a serious conversation with her till now outside the psychological domain. But I'm not complaining because I love it...and I love the way she talks about gender differences especially when it comes to depression (she had a presentation on this). Still she brought the whole psychological department in my life and turned them into my friends...and for this I thank her because they are all great. She is very bad at organizing things...and when she got lost in Malmo she proved that she's not that good with problem solving and fast reactions either. Still she has a wicked look sometimes and makes me think there's more to her than meets the eye. She likes to clean just like me :D and we share the washing the dishes and laundry part. I hate it when she uses my milk because she's out of...even if she buys a new one the next day. She always takes post cards for me too when she goes in a pub and I do the same with her. We both have postcards on our room walls and we started putting them in the kitchen now too.

Mara Ose
Mara is a last year bachelor student in...I don't really know actually. It's something with culture and cultural relations - the idea is that she's studying Danish (Scandinavian culture). She is from Latvia, Riga. She is also an Erasmus student but just for one semester. So in about two weeks from now she will become another very good friend I have somewhere in the world and hope to see again in this life. I hate it when this happens, because I build very strong relations with people who I'm very likely never to see again in my life, but would like to have close to in special moments. I hope our roads will cross again because I really like her. She is just like me, not so keen on socializing and going out at night. The first thing we shared was peeing on the side of the road in the middle of the night on our way home from the centre  We didn't have bikes back then so we got off the bus in a place we though nobody could see us. She told me then that she's very happy she can trust somebody here and share real life things not just artificial smiles. I liked that and it made me feel good. Through her I got to meet all these Latvian guys and get a sense of their patriotism. I always relate to her when it comes to the history of our countries and the mentality of people. Romania has a lot of social things very similar to the ones Latvians have...still they are somehow viewed better than us. She doesn't like to clean and I hate this so much - she never washed the laundry (me and Marketa wash hers too), she never vacumed in the common areas and we have to tell her when she should buy something for the flat. Still she's very helpful when you ask her for something. She brought us the delicious Latvian candies when she went home during her holiday in October. I met her parents when they came to visit at the beginning of November - and they are nice people. She talks to me a lot about her boyfriend and what she would like to do. She's a lost soul just like me and she would like to discover the world and travel, but not alone. She promised to visit us next semester after she passes her bachelor exam :)...I hope she will...I'm going to miss her and having her in the flat.